Monday, November 16, 2009

View from the Top: Part 3

So today was our annual Thanksgiving lunch at school. One of the moms had a 2 month old baby, and I offered to hold her while Mom ate with her kinderbaby. I'll admit, my biological clock is ticking, but it's not ticking so loudly that I feel the need to find the nearest sperm donor and get knocked up!

While I rocked this precious little one to sleep, more than one person came to me and said I looked maternal, or like a natural, holding the baby. Yep..that's right, I guess I have the mommy gene.  And I'm cool with that. I WANT kids. I've ALWAYS wanted kids. But right now? uhhh no. Not with school, not with being single.

And when I was asked why I didn't have kids, I gave those reasons.  The response?  You don't need a husband to have a baby!

EXCUSE ME??? Have you met me?  This top of the tree apple does in fact NEED and WANT a husband before I have a baby.  I don't want to go through it alone! Do think single moms are amazing? ABSOLUTLY!  Would I choose to do it all by myself? Not unless I'm 40 and have adopted a kid...because that's my plan...

I get that I'm "old fashioned". But when did it become ok to say "screw it" and just let my morals fall by the wayside?  PLEASE don't misunderstand me. I get that things happen. I'm absolutly NOT saying that being a single parent is wrong or immoral.  What I am saying is that it's not right for me. If I do get to the point that I want a child, I'll adopt a kid who needs a good home, because I know there are plenty out there!

I'm just floored....

No comments: